What are stretch marks and can Stratamark treat them?
Most people are afflicted by stretch marks on one or other part of their body. Usually more hidden, these long, narrow lines that form on your skin which it is suddenly stretched, cause no health concerns but do create an aesthetic bother for many. There are many treatments on the market that claim the ability to removed stretch marks but unfortunately, many of them do not work. The good news is that Victoria’s Cosmedi Spa has a range of stretch mark treatments, one of which might be the right solution for you.
When do stretch marks occur?
Although they can affect anyone, women do seem to be more prone to stretch marks than men. They can appear on a number of body parts including the stomach, breasts, upper arms, lower back, hips and thighs. Most commonly, stretch marks will appear after a period of intense growth. The skin will be stretched during this growth period and is unable to return to its normal form. Though they pose no health threats, stretch marks do often cause body image issues as well as anxiety in those who have them.
What is a stretch mark?
Also known as Striae Distensae, they are scars that that develop when the skin stretches or shrinks too quickly. This abrupt change ruptures to collagen and elastin in the skin and as these support structures begin to heal, the stretch marks will appear. There are several different classifications of stretch marks:
- Striae Rubra describes the early red scarring that occurs in the epidermis (outer layer of the skin)
- Striae Alba describes the stretch marks as they become mature, whiter and depressed
- Striae Gravidarum describes stretch marks that occur due to pregnancy
Does everyone get stretch marks?
Not everyone will get stretch marks in their life. Some people are more prone to them than others, particularly if they run in the family. People who also have fluctuating hormone levels may also be at risk. The application of corticosteroids to your skin may also induce stretch marks.
The appearance of stretch marks
When stretch marks initially appear, they usually have a red, pink or brown hue depending on the colour of your skin. Fresh stretch marks can also feel itchy and slightly raised when they first occur. Over time, the colour will fade and the thin bands will sink beneath your skin. Often you can feel a slight depression when running your finger over an older stretch mark.
Can stretch marks be treated?
At Victoria’s Cosmedi Spa, we are happy to offer our clients proven relief from stretch marks.
The first option is Stratamark which is designed specifically for the prevention and treatment of stretch marks and is known to:
- Soften and flatten stretch marks
- Reduce redness and discolouration associated with stretch marks
- Relieve itching and discomfort of stretch marks
Stratamark is a registered medical treatment that was developed to prevent and treat all types for stretch marks resulting from pregnancy, adolescent growth spurts, weight gain or loss or bodybuilding.
More about Stratamark:
- It is transparent and odourless
- It does not contain alcohol, fragrances or parabens
- It is suitable for pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, children and people with sensitive skin
- It dries to form a thin, flexible and protective gel sheet that is gas permeable and waterproof
- Hydrates and protects the skin
- Allows the skin to normalise the collagen synthesis cycle
Are the other stretch mark treatments?
At Victoria’s Cosmedi Spa, we offer a number of stretch mark treatments. Other treatments offered by our professional team include:
- Laser/I.P.L – these methods may be used to fade the colour of new stretch marks
- Fractionated Radio Frequency (RF) – this may be used to treat old stretch marks by firming and refining the stretched tissue
- Skin Needling Stretch mark treatment – this uses a dermaroller or e-dermastamp to create tiny pin-holes into the skin through to the level of the dermis and then relying on your natural healing to lay down new collagen deposits, thereby creating some firming of the tissue with the overall improvement in the appearance of stretch marks
If you are looking for stretch mark treatment options, then why not contact Victoria’s Cosmedi Spa to find out more? To book a consultation simply click here http://victoriascosmeticclinic.mylocalsalon.com/onlinebooking