It is easy to point a finger at your genetic code when it comes to the blame-game for wrinkles.
Unfortunately, though, scientists have found that genetics actually only govern around 30% of how the human body ages. The other 70% is determined by your own lifestyle. Here at Victoria’s Cosmedi Spa in Launceston, we know what it means to feel the sting of age – particularly when your wrinkles are hanging out in plain sight for the entire world to see! On that note, we thought we would kick off the New Year with a few tips to help you reduce the signs of ageing and the appearance of wrinkles this year.
The amount of time you sleep and apparently even how you sleep can contribute to wrinkling formation. According to Yale dermatologist Nicholas Perricone MD, the human body produces more Human Growth Hormone (HGH) when we get enough sleep. This helps boost elasticity in the skin, making your skin less likely to wrinkle.
Ever noticed sleep lines before? When we sleep on the side in the same position every night, we can cause permanent sleep line wrinkles. Sleeping on your back can help to reduce wrinkle formation.
In a country where melanoma claims more than 1,200 lives a year, the need for proper skin care should simply be a fact of our everyday lives. When it comes to taking care of your skin, sun exposure is believed to be even more of a contributor to wrinkles and ageing than genetic factors.
Here at Victoria’s Cosmedi Spa, we have an assortment of sunscreen and skincare products from La Roche-Posay. La Roche-Posay’s sunscreen range Anthelios has adapted textures to suit different situations, skin types, and levels of exposure. Recommended by over 25,000 dermatologists, La Roche-Posay sunscreens available at Victoria’s are both UVB and UVA protected.
Studies have shown that there are a number of different foods that can help to keep your skin healthy and youthful.
Here are just a few:
Cold water fish such as salmon are filled to the brim with protein and omega-3. Omega-3 fatty acids help to protect the skin from harmful free-radicals that come from ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Omega-3 is not only good for your skin but good for your hair as well. And when it comes to ageing, thinning hair is a key contributor to appearing more aged.
Similar to fish, fruits and vegetables play host to antioxidant compounds that fight damage caused by free radicals. This helps skin look younger and more radiant, protecting against some effects of photo-ageing.
Photo rejuvenation treatment at Victoria’s Cosmedi Spa uses non-invasive techniques to treat the skin. Photorejuvenation is an effective anti-ageing therapy because it uses light to pass through the skin. This can stimulate the production of collagen and elastin, minimise the appearance of age spots, and ease the progression of rosacea (facial redness) with minimal to no downtime.
By minimising sun exposure and maintaining a healthy lifestyle you can help to delay the appearance of wrinkles before they form. Anti-wrinkle treatments are most applicable for treating the wrinkles that are still visible when your face is at rest (when you are not smiling, frowning or using any other expression). However, we do offer treatments for people who simply don’t like expression wrinkles.
Here at Victoria’s Cosmedi Spa, we offer injectable and non-injectable anti-ageing treatments for clients. The treatments differ considerably depending on what type of wrinkles you want to treat, how you want them to be treated and results achievable. Find out more about the different treatments by following the links below:
When it comes to taking care of your skin and reducing the signs of aging, the best way to approach it is by taking the time to practice full-body wellness. Stress and nutritional deficiencies can cause sleepless nights and give your skin that stressed appearance. If you are finding it difficult to overcome stress, maybe you should consider meditation, yoga, or simply going for daily walks to calm your mind.
To maximise the effects of your treatment, do your best to practice a combination of these tips. We also suggest drinking plenty of water and moisturising regularly all year round.
Can’t quite work out what would be best for your skin?
Here at Victoria’s Cosmedi Spa, we offer a “Get to know you” consultation where you can book a consultation and assessment with one of our fully qualified therapists.